Monday, March 26, 2012

Teaching your Teen about Managing their Money

I recently attended a lecture for the University of Utah's Personal Finance week presented by Rachel Cruze about Personal Finances and thought her ideas were great and wanted to share them with you.  Teaching our children the importance of handling their money is a concept that many of us do not have formal training in.

As parents, we should take the first step and make sure our kids have a savings account at a local bank or credit union.  Then when they start their first job, make sure you take them to sign up for a checking account which would give them access to a debit card (drawn directly from their checking), and then work with them to manage their finances correctly with the following ideas:



~Tami

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I think that it is a great idea for parents to teach their teens about budgeting, debt, and savings. I know I could have used a lecture on learning how to save when I was a teen. I had a hard time being content with what I had, which is why I spent all of my money on things that I thought I needed at the time. Thanks for your video post Tami!
-Teresa