Thursday, April 5, 2012

Positive and Effective Communication Between Parents and Their Teens

The purpose of this video is to provide parents a way to approach their teenagers when faced with a negative situation. There are two concepts to think about and I will provide an example of each in the video.

1st Concept: "Explain rather than order"

  • If parents order their teenagers to do something without any explanation as to why they have to do it then they can get frustrated and act more negatively toward the situation.

2nd Concept: "Listen do not lecture"

  • If parents lecture their children on what they did wrong and do not leave any room for input from them then the child will feel like their parents do not really care what they have to say, which listening to them can be very affective for both parenting and children's learning when you give them a chance to explain.

Teenagers will learn from their mistakes if it is dealt with through conversation and mutual understanding rather than a parent going directly to punishment.



Reference: Faber, A., & Mazlish, E. (2005). How to Talk So Teens Will Listen & Listen So Teens Will Talk. New York, New York, United States: HarperCollins Publishers.

~Kim

5 comments:

Up All Night said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Up All Night said...

Great post! I love how you explained what your video is about before you showed it!
Chelsey

Teresa said...

I really enjoyed your video post! I'm not a parent to a teenager, but I do live with my 16 year old sister and sometimes I find myself lecturing her and not listening. We have a big problem with her borrowing my clothes and not returning them. Your post has reminded me that I need to be more open to conversation and not just ordering her to stop taking my clothes.

Emily said...

Hey!
I enjoyed your post!
I am not a mother but I think your tips are helpful even to help me communicate with my husband!
The last thing I should be doing is ordering him around. Ha! That would not get me very far.
Also I think we could all listen a little better.
Thanks!

Annie said...

Even though I don't have kids yet, I love how applicable this video is in general with how we communicate with each other. It was a nice subtle reminder than we don't need to solve othe people's problems, but rather listen to them to help them resolve it on their own.